Image Map Rules
HTML Markup Details
mapelement is often used to create navigation bars.
areaelement is used within
mapelements to create areas within images that activate links.
- Links created using the
areaelement must have redundant text links since none of the major graphical browsers render
altattribute for the
areaelement, making the content inaccessible to many visually impaired users.
- img.alt and area.alt
- Any time an
areaelement is used to create a link, the
altattribute content should not describe the image but instead describe the target of the link.
altattribute content can be used by screen readers or rendered instead of the image by some graphical browsers to improve access to screen reader users and visually impaired users.
Accessibility Evaluation Rules
|no.||FAE 2007||FAE 2008||Description|
Additional rules on image maps can be found in the following best practices:
FAE Rule Implemetation
- Illinois Functional Accessibility Evaluator 1.0
- The Illinois Functional Accessibility Evaluator is a web based tool to help developers evaluate web resources for the use of the iCITA HTML best practices.
- Illinois Firefox Accessibility Extension
- The Illinois Firefox Accessibility Extension is a Firefox add-in that is designed to identify accessibility features for both static and dynamically generated html content.
- Useful for identifying the location of specific accessibility problems for failures and warnings indentified in FAE reports.