Navigation Bar Rules
HTML Markup Details
ulelement and other container elements
ulelement is the preferred navigation bar container element.
- Other container elements that are identified as navigation bars include nested table elements that contain mostly links and
mapelements that contain
areaelements. These containers are not as accessible or interoperable as the
lielement should be used as the container for individual a elements in the
ulelement navigation bar.
- h2-h6 elements
- Heading elements (
h2-h6) should provide descriptive labels for a collection of links for page and site navigation; the
h2element is preferred for most navigation bars.
- The heading should immediately precede the navigation bar container element.
- Heading elements can be hidden in a graphical rendering by using CSS absolute positioning.
Accessibility Evaluation Rules
Most pages should contain at least one navigation bar.
FAE Rule Implemetation
- Illinois Functional Accessibility Evaluator 1.0
- The Illinois Functional Accessibility Evaluator is a web based tool to help developers evaluate web resources for the use of the iCITA HTML best practices.
- Illinois Firefox Accessibility Extension
- The Illinois Firefox Accessibility Extension is a Firefox add-in that is designed to identify accessibility features for both static and dynamically generated html content.
- Useful for identifying the location of specific accessibility problems for failures and warnings indentified in FAE reports.