HTML Markup Details
lielements can be used to create unordered lists of information.
- The default rendering of an unordered list uses a solid black circle as the bullet for each item; this default can be modified to a variety of shapes including discs, circles and squares using the CSS list-style property.
- Custom bullets can be defined using the CSS background-image property or the CSS list-style-image property.
lielements can be used to create ordered lists of information.
- The default numbering of items in an ordered list uses decimal numbers starting from one (1).
- The numbering style and current list number can be changed using the CSS list-style-type property. Possible values include decimal-leading-zero, lower-roman, upper-roman, lower-greek, lower-latin, upper-latin, armenian, georgian or none.
valueattribute can be used to set the starting number for an ordered list.
valueattribute can be used to set the number for the current
dlelement can be used to create lists of definitions.
dtelement is used to itemize each term to be defined. One or more
ddelements follow each dt element and provide definitions for the term.
Accessibility Evaluation Rules
Nested lists deeper than 5 levels are difficult for people to understand, especially screen reader users. Reorganize the structure of the nested lists into sections that can be identified using meaningful section titles using heading markup.
FAE Rule Implemetation
- Illinois Functional Accessibility Evaluator 1.0
- The Illinois Functional Accessibility Evaluator is a web based tool to help developers evaluate web resources for the use of the iCITA HTML best practices.
- Illinois Firefox Accessibility Extension
- The Illinois Firefox Accessibility Extension is a Firefox add-in that is designed to identify accessibility features for both static and dynamically generated html content.
- Useful for identifying the location of specific accessibility problems for failures and warnings indentified in FAE reports.