HTML Markup Details
tableelement can be used in combination with the
tdelements to layout blocks of content for a graphical rendering. The use of table markup for layout should be avoided in accessible design. Instead, CSS float and clear properties should be used for positioning blocks of content. If table markup is used for graphical layout, the markup should be restricted to the use of the
tdelements. Other table elements including
summaryattribute should not be used.
- position property
- The CSS position property can be used to layout content to position elements in the browser window. This property for absolute positioining can be used to layout blocks of content for a graphical rendering. However, the use of CSS absolute positioning should be avoided in accessible design and instead, CSS float and clear properties should be used for positioning blocks of content.
Accessibility Evaluation Rules
When tables are used for layout, make sure the reading order makes sense when layout table markup is removed.
When CSS absolute positioning is used for layout, make sure the reading order makes sense when stylesheets are disabled.
FAE Rule Implemetation
- Illinois Functional Accessibility Evaluator 1.0
- The Illinois Functional Accessibility Evaluator is a web based tool to help developers evaluate web resources for the use of the iCITA HTML best practices.
- Illinois Firefox Accessibility Extension
- The Illinois Firefox Accessibility Extension is a Firefox add-in that is designed to identify accessibility features for both static and dynamically generated html content.
- Useful for identifying the location of specific accessibility problems for failures and warnings indentified in FAE reports.